Sunday 17 June 2012

Music

All my life I have totally adored music, especially classical although I have very wide tastes.I like anything from Jazz to Rock music to Bluegrass but my first choice will always be classical.

I first started listening to classical music with my mother when I was three years old. (Well, possibly before that but I can't remember anything before the age of three.). I vividly remember loving The "Pastoral" symphony (No.6) by Beethovan at this age and apparently asked for it to be put on frequently. I progressed to loving many composers as I grew up, developing a particular passion for Chopin especially his second piano concerto which I always asked my mum to put on at bedtime so as I could get to sleep.  To this day I can remember every scratch on the record, so embedded it is on my memory.

When I was about six or seven years old, a friend of my mum's used to occasionally look after me and she had a piano. Her daughter was learning to play and was excellent so I was desperate to learn. I used to sit and pretend I could play it but had not much idea what to do, so when I turned nine years old, I got my wish and was sent for piano lessons which I loved from the word go. I consider myself very lucky as even then, lessons were expensive and it must have been difficult for my parents to afford them. At that time they cost five guineas per quarter.

Unfortunately my parents separated when I was eleven years old and I thought I was going to have to give my lessons up as my mother could no longer afford them but my wonderful teacher reckoned I had talent and taught me for free for three years before I moved on to lessons through my school where prices were subsidised. I will never, ever forget her for that gift.She is sadly now deceased but she was a fantastic teacher and terrific person.

In the meantime, I had began violin lessons at the age of eleven, through my school, which as I have mentioned, were subsidised. I found violin very difficult to begin with, especially the bowing technique, but once I got the hang of it, I loved playing. I played up to 5th grade on violin, though left school before I had chance to sit that grade, and I sat to grade 5 on piano though played up to 7th grade.

I am so grateful for being given the chance to learn both instruments and have in the past helped others to get started on piano. My daughter took lessons and was doing really well but didn't want to continue which was a pity but I don't believe in forcing children to learn.There are too many pushy parents around. My granddaughter is also showing signs of being musical so I will help her all I can if she shows an interest in piano.

I have only recently started practising seriously again on my keyboard, as sadly I can't afford a good piano at present, but am enjoying playing again. I am working on three fifth grade pieces at present; Miniature in D minor (No.2) by Gedike, First movement of Fantasia No. 10 in A minor (allegro) by Telemann and first movement from Sonatina in G no.1 (Allegro non tanto) by Dussek. I am also trying to get my scales back up to standard;my lovely teacher was "big" on scales.

Hopefully one day I may buy another violin though, as I haven't played in years, it will take a lot of work to be decent on that again

1 comment:

  1. You are very talented lady. I enjoyed reading about your musical past.

    ReplyDelete