Thursday 5 July 2012

Cats

Since I was a tiny girl, I have always loved cats; actually all animals but especially cats. I grew up with a beautiful black Labrador called Honour who I adored , and in addition we got a lovely wee budgie called Dougie but I always wanted a cat.

When I was nine years old, my grandma took me to Gourock to stay with my aunt. One day whilst out playing I made friends with a lovely little cat and told my grandma about her. She was very thin, and incredibly hungry and as it turned out pregnant and very young. My grandma rescued her (both her and my aunt loved cats) and I wrote a begging letter to my dad asking if I may keep her. I didn't hold out much hope but amazingly he agreed . As we were going to Devon when I went home, my Grandma looked after "Judy" as I had now named her, while we were away. She so fell in love with her though, she couldn't bear to part with her. Instead, I was given a beautiful little tabby kitten whom I named "Tiger" and she became the "Joy of my life". :-).

"Tiger" was a beautiful female cat with a lot of love to give. ( And I still got to visit "Judy"). She used to follow me everywhere and literally did follow me to school a couple of times which was most amusing, to say the least. ( A bit like the nursery rhyme.."Mary had a little lamb".) I had four and a half lovely years with her, then she decided to share two different houses ;mine and that of a family who started feeding her and wouldn't stop doing so, even though asked politely not to. She was well fed and loved, but apparently she threatened the Bantam hens! Well that was their excuse.

This may sound hypocritical as we adopted "Judy" but my grandma did try to find out who she belonged to, and she was obviously starving, but these people knew she belonged to me. It got to the stage where I had to go and ask for my cat back everyday, but the lady continued to feed her. It still annoys me to this day.

Eventually I gave up, and told them just to keep her. Sadly, shortly after, she disappeared and I never found out what happened to her. I loved that little cat.

I have written so much on her, I will save what I write on all the lovely cats I have had and the beautiful two I have now,for another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment