Thursday 6 September 2012

Depression

Tonight on twitter, I talked to two new people on the subject of depression and one is male and one female ; I can only estimate their ages but there is yet again this common factor of "pain".

I still believe that the most wonderful therapy possible is to be able to talk and express and it will help more than anything else can. Unfortunately, the subject of depression, in all it's forms is as "taboo" today as it ever was, which is sad and most terribly wrong.

I received a sarcastic comment from a follower, and many would have unfollowed, but I suspect this person is not so different from the rest of us, and many people suffer episodes of this "Pain" in different ways, but it really does amount to the same feeling.

Most people want "light-hearted" chat and fun and who would not ? ; but depression is a very real part of life which afflicts so many, and it is terribly wrong to ignore it; it can kill.

I write my blogs, not from a literary point point of view, but merely from a caring one, and I do care, deeply.

I always wanted to write a book on this subject but was aware I neither had the skills or knowledge to do so, but I am much obliged to the computer I never wanted to use for the opportunity to "say what I wish to do so" and nobody needs to listen or comment if not interested.

My depression, and as I no longer suffer, was caused by rampant hormones and there were probably other issues too as it really is very, very complicated  but that really was my main problem. I became very "fed up" to say the least by being misdiagnosed by the medical profession, wrongly, and it affected a very large part of my life.

However, this is merely my personal experience and it is different in every case of depression. In the end , it doesn't matter what works as long as it does and even depression is self limiting. ; it will move, even if it returns and I am "living proof" of it not returning.

However, I can merely point out what did help me through my very "dark" times. By far was the love and support that I received from my mum, and also from my brothers and friends. That was more important than anything. I had, and still do have, a very beautiful little girl, who I would never give up on, so it really is worth the fight to survive.

In my bad moments, I found certain things helped more than others. I didn't get much help from the prescription drugs but many people benefit greatly. We are all individuals and what helps one person, may not be the best treatment for another. I will say, since my problem was hormonal, there was little likelihood  that anti-depressants were actually going to make a difference but I will say that I was given an M.A.O which did help. That was the last possibility and I am not a fan of drugs.

What helped me most at the time was acupuncture, herbs and essential oils. Not a "cure all" as nothing is but they worked much better for me than anything else did.

However, talking and caring is probably the best therapy ever.

If I "blabber" on and others do not like what I write, that is up to them. I write on something so important, it should never be ignored.

No comments:

Post a Comment